Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Team Sports

I am not a natural athlete, I'm not an athlete at all. Hold on, maybe I am and I never gave myself a fair shot at it. What makes an athlete? I can run - I am working on my endurance right now and I started at 5 1/2 minutes. I know, not a long time, but I am just starting. I can't do 10K right off the bat! But I lift weights, do classes, play soccer recreationally, soon to be league, I love to play badminton and tennis and I love to swim. So, am I an athlete? I love being active, I love being involved in sports and I am starting to think that I may be an athlete after all. I think that for so long I thought I wasn't an athlete and that just kind of stuck with me. But maybe it stuck because I never tried anything, or stuck with anything long enough to enjoy the athletic aspect of it.

My point is that I have started to play soccer, and for once in my life, I feel athletic. I never knew that team sports could make you feel so good and work me out harder than I have ever worked before. I think that so many people try to lose weight by themselves, I know I did. We think we are pushing ourselves so hard and that we are doing the best we can. Turns out, I wasn't. One 2 hour practice was harder than anything I've ever done before. And that is compared to taking an hour long class and then running or going on the elliptical for 30 minutes. I had to be accountable to other people for once and I worked harder knowing that they were counting on me to do so. So that's my new weight loss strategy, I am going to train myself to keep up with these other athletes. One day I might even be able to say that I am truly an athlete myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment